How many times have you been on a long road trip and the lone highway food sign points to a McDonald ’ s ? Your omni friend pulls off the highway touch elated at the think of a alleged “ glad Meal ” —but you only feel pain .
What can a vegan possibly eat at McDonald ’ second ? Do you need to resort to the bruised apple under the seat or to the Larabar that you bought last year ?
We ’ ll be taking you through everything you can eat that ’ s vegan at McDonald ’ s, arsenic well as what to avoid.
Be Forewarned: Your Vegan Options at McDonald’s Are Limited
deplorably, at this time the list of vegan-friendly foods you can feel beneficial ( but let ’ s be real—not great ) about ordering at McDonald ’ s is very little. We go into the true vegan options down under, but first gear, take a look at this list of items that you might have thought were safe, but are sadly not vegan .
Unfortunately NOT Vegan at McDonald’s (in the US):
- French Fries (contain “Natural Beef Flavor [Wheat and Milk Derivatives]” and are fried in beef fat)
- Hash Browns (contain milk and fried in beef fat)
- Donut Sticks (contain milk in sticks and sauce)
- Shakes (contain milk)
- Fruit Smoothies (contain yogurt)
- Chocolate Chip Cookies (contain egg and milk)
When Will the Vegan McDonald’s Burger (McPlant) Be Available in the USA?
After decades of offering zero options catered toward vegans, McDonald ’ second has finally turned a corner with the external launch of the raw vegan McPlant Burger ! This is basically a vegan BigMac. They are doing a slow-but-steady rollout of the McPlant hamburger, and have thus far tested the McPlant burger in Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands, Austria, and the U.K. It ’ second gotten rave reviews and is now starting to be tested in choice U.S. McDonald ’ randomness locations .
According to a kernel industry news program exit, the plant-based McPlant hamburger tests have exceeded expectations, and McDonald ’ sulfur is expected to continue rolling out the McPlant burger in the US in 2022 .
“ Sales of the plant-based burger are well above expectations. Consumers should expect a broader rollout of the McDonald ’ mho McPlant in 2022 following a successful trial of the plant-based hamburger in eight choice U.S. cities, BTIG analyst Peter Saleh predicted .
‘ Our conversations indicated the McPlant test performed exceptionally well in its handful of locations, with very limit operational challenges. ‘ ”
Vegan Options at McDonald’s (USA)
There aren ’ t any plant-based meat options at most U.S. McDonald ’ mho locations yet, but there have been hints that they may offer a plant-based hamburger in the approximate future. And if the aggressive vegan options at early fast-food restaurants are a polarity, it ’ s only a count of meter for McDonald ’ randomness to follow befit. Cross your fingers !
We ’ ve seen the modern vegan options explode in popularity at fast-food giants like Burger King, Carl ’ south Jr., Taco Bell, Del Taco, and more. so, deoxycytidine monophosphate ’ mon McDonald ’ s…what are you waiting for ?
For now, here ’ s what you can club from the McDonald ’ s vegan menu for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks—and how you can get creative with these very specify options .
Vegan McDonald’s Breakfast Options:
- Fruit & Maple Oatmeal (ask to be made with water and without milk or cream)
- Apple Slices
- English Muffin (plain)
100% Vegan Breads:
- English muffin
- Flour tortilla
- Artisan Roll
Salads Suitable for Vegans:
- Southwest Salad (without cheese or Southwest dressing)
- Premium Bacon Ranch Salad (without cheese, bacon or Ranch dressing)
- Side Salad (without cheese or dressing)
Vegan Newman’s Own Dressings:
- Balsamic and White Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Raspberry Walnut and Red Wine Vinaigrette
- Classic Oil & Vinegar
- Zesty Italian
- Sesame Ginger
- Citrus Splash
Plant-Based Dipping Sauces and Condiments:
- Spicy buffalo
- Sweet and Sour
- Maple Syrup
Vegan Snacks at McDonald’s:
- Apple slices
- Baked apple pie (yes, it’s accidentally vegan!)
Vegan Drinks at McDonald’s:
- Hot coffee (without milk or cream)
- Iced coffee (without milk or cream)
- Orange juice
- Apple juice
- Iced tea (without milk or cream)
How to Make Meals From The McDonald’s Vegan Menu
McDonald’s Vegan Breakfast Ideas:
- Fruit & Maple Oatmeal (made with water, no cream), a coffee (without milk or cream), and a side of apple slices.
- A toasted English muffin with margarine*, jelly*, or maple syrup* with a side of apple slices and an orange or apple juice. *(Some restaurants may have these available in the morning or during the day. Ask the cashier when ordering.)
- Baked apple pie alone or along with either idea above
- If you’d like a vegan McDonald’s coffee, you’ll just need to order it black, without milk or cream.
Vegan Lunch & Dinner Ideas:
- Southwest Salad (with no cheese or Southwest dressing), dressing, beverage
- Premium Bacon Salad (with no cheese, bacon or Ranch dressing), dressing, beverage
- Southwest Wrap—order the Southwest Salad (no cheese or Southwest dressing), a flour tortilla (or two!), dressing, beverage. Ask for the flour tortilla(s) on the side and assemble your own veggie wrap by filling the tortilla with salad and topping with a dressing.
- Veggie Artisan Roll Sandwich—ask for any of the burgers or sandwiches without the meat, cheese, and mayo. Ask for extra lettuce, tomato, and pickles. Request a dipping sauce (like bbq, mustard or spicy buffalo), if desired, and a beverage.
- Basic Side Salad and a Wrap/Sandwich combo
McDonald’s Snack Ideas:
- Apple slices
- Apple Pie
- Any of the breakfast, lunch, dinner ideas
- Apple or orange juice
- Coffees or teas (without milk or cream)
Bring Your Own Extras & Add-Ons
If you ’ re able to keep some of these in your car, pocket, or purse, you ’ ll improve your chance of having a satisfying meal when visiting McDonald ’ second. They ’ rhenium besides perfect snacks on their own !
- Packets of nut butter (to top a toasted English muffin, tortilla or artisan roll)
- Hummus (to top a toasted English muffin, tortilla or artisan roll)
- Avocado (to top a toasted English muffin, tortilla or artisan roll)
- Packages of nuts (add to salad or oatmeal bowl)
- Fresh fruit (add to salad or oatmeal bowl)
- Dried fruit (add to salad or oatmeal bowl)
Individual container of plant-based milk (to add to coffee or tea to drink alongside a meal, or to add to the oatmeal bowl)
- Reusable cutlery, especially a knife (to cut the avocado or spread nut butter)
Are McDonald’s Fries Vegan?
Sadly, NO. even the french fries at McDonald ’ s aren ’ thymine vegan—at least not in the United States. Some other countries ( such as Canada ) do have vegan fries, but if you ’ re in the US, elapse on the fries .
generally, when vegans swing by hamburger joints, we can sigh and say, “ Well, at least the fries are vegan. ” That this is not the case at McDonald ’ second is a parody we may never get over.v
Read more: Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken
Are McDonald’s Apple Pies Vegan?
Yes, sweet friends ! The McDonald ’ sulfur apple pies are vegan ! They are what we call “ by chance vegan. ” McDonald ’ s surely didn ’ thyroxine design them for specifically vegans, but they don ’ t happen to include any animal products ! No kernel, no eggs, no milk, no butter, and no dairy any .
Another question many ask—are the McDonald’s apple pies made with real apples? Yes, in fact they are ! They besides contain apple powderize ( for deeper spirit ), wheat flour ( good-for-nothing, gluten-free friends ), brown sugar, cinnamon, apple powder, handle oil ( I know, not the best ), strategic arms limitation talks, and high-fructose corn syrup .
What about the sugar? Is the sugar in these Apple Pies vegan? It ’ s not made with vegan-certified sugar, but we still consider it vegan ( in the same way that vegetables are considered vegan even if they ’ re grown in cow manure ). If you ’ d like to learn more about the vegan condition of boodle, read our “ Is boodle vegan ? ” article .
What do the McDonald’s apple pie nutrition facts look like? While I doubt many of you are swinging by McD ’ south for a healthy treat, you may be curious about the nutrition profile. McDonald ’ south apple pies contain 230 calories each, 2 grams of plant-based protein, 11 grams of fatten, and 33 grams of carbs. There we have it ! imperfectly and unintentionally vegan apple pies at McDonald ’ sulfur .
Vegan Dishes at Other McDonald’s Locations (Outside the USA)
- Vegetable Deluxe Sandwich (UK)
- Spicy Veggie Wrap (UK)
- Big Vegan (Germany).
- Vegan Vegetable Nuggets (Norway)
- Falafel Nuggets (Sweden)
- McVegan (Finland)
- El Veggo (Finland)
- McAloo Tikki (India)
HISTORIC NEWS: Vegan McPlant Burger Launches at Select McDonald’s Locations!
What is the McPlant Burger Patty Made From?
The modern McPlant is made with a Beyond Meat burger patty that has actually been certified vegan by the UK ’ s Vegetarian Society. not only is the McPlant hamburger wholly vegan, but McDonald ’ mho has besides made the decision to cook the vegan patties on a offprint grill from their early kernel and dairy items. While cooking vegan items on a grill that ’ s not entirely vegan is acceptable to many ( but not all ) vegans, it ’ second calm a very dainty gesture that we surely appreciate .
What is on the McPlant Burger, you ask?
The standard fixin ’ s that come on a McPlant burger—besides the Beyond Meat patty—include vegan sandwich sauce, boodle, pickles, tomatoes, and the much anticipated McDonald ’ s vegan tall mallow ! According to McDonald ’ second, they tested dozens of vegan cheese brands from many different countries before setting on coconut oil-based cheese slices made in collaboration with an irish company called Kerry. The vegan cheese slices look just like a classic orange slice of American cheese—and many people have said they tastes about identical !
It ’ s only a matter of meter before the McPlant hamburger is available at every McDonald ’ second location, just as the Burger Kind Impossible Whopper and Carl ’ s Jr. Beyond Famous Star burgers have become a staple on every menu. The list of McPlant locations is quickly growing and we eagerly await the McPlant hamburger USA rollout !
McDonald’s McPlant Burger Taste Test Video (from a London location):
When Will There Be Vegan McDonald’s Nuggets?
once the vegan McDonald ’ s burger is a permanent regular on the vegan McDonald ’ s menu worldwide, the obvious next step are vegan nuggets. I ’ molarity certain it ’ s only a matter of time, but we haven ’ triiodothyronine heard any rumors about vegan McDonald ’ s nuggets so far. Considering the achiever of the McPlant burger, it would be very surprise if McDonald ’ s international relations and security network ’ triiodothyronine already working on some secret vegan nugget charming behind the scenes .
Find More Vegan-Friendly Fast Food Options
We know how it goes, sometimes you land at a McDonald ’ mho and have to make it work. however if you ’ re able to convince your friends to swing by another restaurant, fast food range, or heck—even a gas station alternatively, you ’ ll likely have far better luck getting a fill meal. hera are some of the best fast food options for vegans .
Fast Food Chains With Vegan Burgers
Knowing that there are respective vegan options at mainstream hamburger chains makes it much easier when traveling or hanging out with friends. These are try and true chains which offer more than one choice for a meal. We promise you won ’ t leave hungry !
Fast Food Chains With Great Vegan Options
Vegan-Friendly Fast Food Restaurants
here are some improving and coming chains that offer fantastic fast food, including mouth-watering vegetable burgers, gold fries and delectable shakes !
Read more: Does Lemon Juice Kill Bacteria On Chicken
How to Order Vegan at Other Chains
Don ’ t miss our comprehensive examination vegan fast food guidebook that breaks down what you can get at all the major fast food chains, such as :
Have you found any other options to be veganizable ? Did you find something amaze that we missed ? Send us a message and let us know and tag # worldofvegan and @ vegan on Instagram to share your favorite vegan at McDonald ’ s creations with all of us !
disavowal : At the time of this vegan McDonalds article ( last updated in 2022 ), all of the foods mentioned above are vegan. Since restaurants constantly update their menu, add or take away items, and reformulate menu items, please keep this in take care when ordering your food. There may be new items that are vegan and not listed above or items listed here as vegan, which are no long vegan. Take care to double-check. good luck !